Wednesday 6 April 2016

And What a Wondrous Galaxy this is!

Day 60 and still going strong. I thought I would leave the update to the blog a few extra days, so that I could post some meaningful analysis on the trip so far. But for this last session the basics:

DescriptionValues
Distance covered7263 Ly
Number of jumps265
Systems surveyed165
Systems undiscovered265

So, much further this time and each system is pretty much undiscovered; which is kinda to be expected at this distance from SOL. When I started out I began to wonder if I had seen it all before and worried a little about what screen shots I could show that hadn't really been seen before. Needless to say, I need not have worried.

But first off, let me show you some of the analysis of the trip so far, which is one of the great things about using a spread sheet.

DescriptionValues
Total Distance covered18,490.17 Ly
Total Number of jumps673
Total Number of Star fields16
Largest Star field89 Jumps
Smallest Star field7 Jumps
Total Scoop-able Suns645
Total Un-Scoop-able Suns29

For some analysis on suns, by which I mean the sun you first land at after a jump, here are a few types with their counts. Not all sun classes are listed but these are the ones with the major counts.

Major Sun ClassCount
M421
K125
F41
G37
A20
L8


Total Systems withCount
1 Sun63
2 Suns69
3 Suns27
4 Suns11
5 Suns1

Even after a very minuscule sampling of the galaxy, we can begin to build a picture of the galaxy's content and make up. I can also add to this by the following:

1.04% of systems have so far contained Earth Like Worlds.
15.01% of systems have so far contained Terraform-able Worlds.

You must remember though that my trip has pretty much been a straight path, (well as straight as the map allows) from my starting point to where I am at the current system. So the sampling could be said to be random, as no star field has been surveyed using a regular method. This is why the analysis so far should be taken with a pinch of salt. It is just some interesting facts gleaned from my spread sheet of my trip so far.

When finding a system which say has a sun with some bodies 200k Ls from the major sun that I want to survey, I will set the general direction, and then play with the spread sheet. So going all that distance, is not really so much of a waste of time, but when you find a couple of Terraform-able worlds surrounding that distant sun, the wait and effort is well worth it.

Class III Gas Giant

This amazing gas giant, shown above, was a basic gas giant according to the description. Helium/Hydrogen atmosphere, a surface temperature of 715K, and a radius of 71,090Km or 2,487 earth masses. The sun that it was orbiting was a bright class F and the gas giant was only 1,794 Ls away from it. So should this giant have been displayed as blue, or the colours that you see? I love these colours and this is perhaps the best gas giant I have ever come across.

The image below is a part of a High Resolution shot zoomed in so that the storm can just about be picked out. Again, some interesting colours inside there, which makes you wonder how bad the storm is, with white and red colours.

Zooming into a one of the storms

Below is another gas giant, of which I would call "normal", if there is a normal out there! The sunrise does highlight the atmosphere rather nicely, and makes a great screen shot.

Sunrise over a gas giant while being backlit from another sun.

Total eclipse showing the atmosphere and almost the sun through the centre of this gas giant.

Another wonderful gas giant with interestingly spaced rings.

Nothing but pristine rocky rings here. Nice to see rocks instead of ice.

Yet another gas giant with some beautiful storm systems.

There are some amazing gas giants out there. Not all are similar, (although many of them are), and sometimes you can find some real gems. If a system contains any gas giants at all, I will always stop by and have a look. One must never forget that a Class II Gas Giant will give you a little more cash than the other ones.


3 different kind of suns in close proximity. From left to right: L Dwarf, M , T Dwarf

Onto the bodies now, either moons or just bodies orbiting a sun.

I may have posted similar in the past, but these are the real gems in the galaxy.

An unusual shot from me, as this one is a selfie!

Another body with an interesting colour scheme.


Not quite earth like, but one which really does need landing on in the future.

A water world, but does have what appears to be land masses, or could they be plumes of bacteria?

Is this right? The ice pack surely would melt if constantly facing the sun?

Another water world, but with a very thick atmosphere.

Impressive mountain ranges

Another impressive mountain range on a small greenish body.



It is great to see such detail when 2 bodies are so close to each other, and then so different!

Very distinct cratering - many of them quite deep.

Great weather system, including 2 storms on this high metallic content world.

And finally... How do you scoop? It would appear that the Asp has the scooping ports on the top of the ship, not the bottom. I usually scoop with the bottom of my ship facing the sun, so is that wrong? I wonder if I could get a better scoop rate if I flew upside down. Well there is food for thought...

Fuel scooping - after each and every jump!

No comments:

Post a Comment